Monday, October 31, 2005

Fight!


phattychrisfight
Originally uploaded by primalktc.
The oddest thing happened last night while I was studying at Rendez-Vous. There was a brawl, can you believe it? The Vous is just a little coffee shop on campus, usually pretty quiet setting for the usual, regular group that always hangs out there. Not last night.

Some girlfriends and I were sitting there, minding our own business, when out of nowhere this guy (we'll call him "Crazy" from here) approaches this other guy ("Random" from now on) and ferociously asks him if he has a problem. Up to this point, Random had been doing homework on his laptop and listening to his headphones. He took the phones off, and asked Crazy what he said. Even louder, Crazy yells,
"Hey man, DO YOU HAVE A PROBLEM?" At which point all of Rendez-Vous turns to stare.

Without warning, Crazy hauls back and punches Random in the face. Random jumps up to defend himself as Crazy attempts to push him over the stairway railing. Random manages to get into the middle of the room (away from the dangerous railing) but Crazy is still attached to him, throwing punches like a madman. Other guys jumped into the fight, creating an all out brawl. Eventually Crazy got pinned to the floor and Random could get away.

Three guys were holding Crazy back because he was seriously intent on whooping Random's ass. Random went downstairs to hopefully calm Crazy down, which worked well enough until the cops came. The ensuing questioning of Crazy was very interesting and telling of his serious mental illness, but I don't have time to go into that here.

I was just absolutely amazed at how quickly this event occured and out of the middle of nothing. And in Rendez-Vous, no less... it's not like I was hanging out at Deja Vu or The Elbow Room, for crying out loud.

2 comments:

Alicia said...

Whoa! A coffee shop brawl? That's pretty bizarre. I've never been to Rendez-vous... I'll have to check it out. I try to stay away from the chain places. ick.

On a sidenote, ktc- I'm feeling a little better since I slept on and off all day long. I highly recommend it if you're trying to fight off a virus. :-)

Alicia said...

btw- I love that pick of phatty and chris... probably taken at about 4am. I love it. hehe