Monday, October 31, 2005

Ben Folds, My True Love


benconcert
Originally uploaded by primalktc.
Yep, I'm gonna do it... gonna talk about Ben some more, and immediately following another Ben post... dang. But seriously, I wanted to let everyone know what an awesome time I had at the show, thought no one would care, and then Alicia goes and asks me to write a post about how it was... so here I am to write about it. Yay!

The show was amazing, Ben was (is) amazing. He was probably technically better than I have ever seen him before, and he played some really good, really old shit, which I did not expect but was absolutely fabulous. Unfortunately he didn't touch the LP that I'm currently obsessed with, and also unfortunately played that one little song that drives me quite crazy (yes people, you've heard it, Brick, it was totally ruined and overplayed, now get over it). But as usual I was blown away by his showmanship, humor, and freaking unbelievable talent. Anna really liked it a lot, which made me very happy. All in all, the second best show I've ever seen of Ben's.

Second best? Why, you ask? Well... the venue itself (Miller Auditorium in Kalamazoo) was beautiful (and we had fab front row balcony seats) but it's surroundings absolutely blew. I don't know if any of you have ever been to K-zoo or Western Michigan University, but I seriously suggest avoiding it if you can. There is positively nothing to do, no where to eat or have a beer on campus, the roads are all freaking confusing, and the people... well, the people there were totally lame. They all looked the same (floppy haired skater boyz and sorority chicas) and generally acted in a rather, um... immature fashion? I'm trying to describe them without totally offending someone. But anyway, they (the people) and it (the campus) pissed me off royally and I hope not to return.

Ben. Seriously. Come to Ann Arbor, leave that other shit out of this.

2 comments:

Alicia said...

Sounds amazing! I'm (unfortunately) not hip to the sounds of Ben... except for "Brick." I know, I suck. LOL

So which do you recommend that I begin with? Which LP are you currently obsessed with?

Unknown said...

Currently I am obsessed with the LP called Super D but as far as suggestions for new Ben sounds, I would go Rockin' the Suburbs (his first solo album in the few years after Ben Folds Five) and then Songs for Silverman, his newest release. I certainly wouldn't recommend that you purchase any since you might not like it but if you IM me at primalktc I can send you a few select pieces :)