Thursday, October 06, 2005

The Amazing Race


phil
Originally uploaded by primalktc.
I realize there's a TV theme happening here on Things Loved, and TV is a brain consumer, it's bad, and all that, but let's go with it. I have been getting most of my enjoyment out of the few television programs that I watch because they allow me to escape from the reality of school for 30 to 60 minutes.

I have actually been fairly reluctant to post about my very favorite show in the world, The Amazing Race. Previous to this season it has always been a whirlwind of scary, intricate activities carried out by a harried team of two, certainly with an incredibly interesting relationship. This season is a little different. Okay, a lot different. I'm not sure if I like it yet.

It's the first Amazing Race: Family Edition. The first apparent difference in the show is that there are four people on a team. Sounds interesting- more people, more conflict, right? Not really... there's one family that bickers bitterly but the rest seem to get along for the most part. The challenges are MUCH easier, probably because of the teams with children. This is evidenced by the multiple parents I have seen smoking cigarettes. On the original Amazing Race, you would have to be a dumbass to smoke a cigarette, as you are running around the world climbing mountains and shit, the last thing you would want to do is run out of breath.

Which brings me to the next reason that this season kind of well, sucks... instead of traveling the world, it seems that this Amazing Race will stay in the United States. I can see how it would be difficult to get teams of four on a plane together, but how boring. It's no longer cool to see the teams rush through a place that you've been ("There's Red Square! The Kremlin! I've been there!") since most everyone has traveled around the US ("Washington DC! I've been there!" "Yep, you and everyone else..."). Not so amazing.

I know you are wondering if I am going to give up on my self proclaimed favorite show ever. The answer is no, and it's for one very good, very sexy reason: Phil Keoghan. Now THAT'S amazing.

No comments: