Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Shopping Cart Races


cart
Originally uploaded by primalktc.
I randomly ended up going to the shopping cart races downtown last night, and it was super crazy. There were considerably more spectators than racing carts this year, but it felt rather powerful to walk down the middle of Main Street with thousands of punks, hippies, and townies; causing all traffic to cease and mostly pissing off everyone not participating.

We walked a mile or two to the finish line, where they were shooting off fireworks and generally having a great time, so of course the cops came. Did I say cops? I meant to say every single police officer in the Ann Arbor area. I do love standing around knowing that there isn't jack they can do to me, so we did that for awhile, then headed back.

All in all a pretty surreal experience. I couldn't help thinking a few times though, "if all of the cops are here, you could get away with anything on the other side of town." I will certainly have to keep that in mind for next year.

No comments: