Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Ben Folds Speaks My Language


Mr. Ben
Originally uploaded by primalktc.
I've posted about Ben Folds before... and I don't expect that this will be the last post on the subject. I go through periods of my life where I need to listen to his music and when I do, Ben preaches to me in ways that I never expect. Hence my undying love for his beautiful piano licks and life applicable lyrics. Recently, two songs off of (his latest album) Songs for Silverman have been really great for me. In "Sentimental Guy," Ben sings:

Little things you said or did
Are part of me
Come out from time to time
Though probably no one I know now
Would notice
But I never thought so much could change

Isn't that the truth? I catch myself saying things that friends and I said regularly years ago, and I think, no one here knows exactly what I'm talking about. For example, I've been saying, "Yawn, figure it out" recently, which is a saying that originated many many years ago. There are quite a few other examples of this, and I'm sure everyone else has experienced the same thing. The other song off of that album I'm loving is called "Time," in which Ben sings:

And in time I will fade away
In time I won't hear what you're saying
In time
But time takes time you know

Because you know that in awhile things that matter today won't matter anymore, but exactly, "Time takes time, you know?"

Oh how I love Ben Folds.

No comments: