Sunday, April 24, 2005

Boat Building


boat frame
Originally uploaded by primalktc.
When Smita was in town, our friend Edgar took us to see what he does for a living. He's been building boats for a few years, and I always thought it was a very interesting profession, seemingly perfect for such a creative and intellegent person. I had no idea what went into it until I saw the warehouse myself, though. This massive steel boat skeleton has been hand cut, welded and all that crazy stuff by just two people, and let me tell you, it is amazing to see in person. I was totally blown away.
This particular boat is being built for a retiring couple who plan to sell thier house and live on the open sea. It is what I believe is called "transcontinental" so they can travel the world in their nearly indestructable houseboat. It will sleep six, so I think it is time for me to find these people, become friends with them, and invite myself along.

No comments: